Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I saw the Bird at the Farm!

Monday night, my friend Staci and I headed downtown to The Music Farm to see Andrew Bird. Despite some rough events of the night, it was an amazing show, and I'm very glad we had the chance to go.The opening act was St. Vincent. I have St. Vincent's album "Actor", but just haven't really gotten a chance to have a good, thorough listen to it yet. I was very impressed by the live performance, though, and will definitely be enjoying the album much in the future. The girl's real name is Annie Clark, and she is just fascinating to watch. First off, she is one of those tall, skinny bitches I wish I could've been born as. But the way she moves is just very mesmerizing - it's sort of mechanical like a wind-up doll...maybe a little spazzy...but so much fun to watch. And she is not afraid to really use and abuse her guitar. Very interesting. She also used to be a member of The Polyphonic Spree, who hold a special place in my heart. Click here to watch my video of her song "Now Now".


There was a little altercation in between St. Vincent and Andrew Bird between Staci & I and the group of drunk [approximately] 16-17 year olds behind us. I got more action in that one night from drunk teenagers rubbing all up on me than I have had in the past year altogether. Anyway, things progressed to ass grabbing and shouting and went a little too far. Staci punched a kid, and normally I'm not for violence but he was being a tool and deserved it. It's better that Staci hit him and teach him a lesson than for him to piss off some really big guy in the future and get his ass kicked. And I was proud of her for standing up for herself. Attagirl! :)

A-nyway. Andrew Bird came on stage and things got back to normal. Sometime in the past week, my brain flipped a switch and I decided he was actually quite the handsome man. It might be the way he dresses and the eyes, but I can't say for sure. All that aside, he was really fun to watch. The videos you see online give sort of an accurate impression, but obviously he has much more presence when you're there. He played an amazing set, and brought St. Vincent on for two songs in the encore. Set list was as follows:

Ravel
Fiery Crash
Masterswarm
Opposite Day
Fitz and the Dizzyspells
Effigy
Anonanimal
Not A Robot, But A Ghost*
Headsoak
Imitosis
Cataracts
Fake Palindromes
Encores: Why / Scythian Empires / Tables and Chairs

The two with asterisks may not be in complete proper order as they weren't included on the planned set list. But I think I'm right. Click on the 3 songs with links to see my videos of them. I'm not putting them up here because it takes forever to load with them. And anyway, if you go to the link you can watch them in super cool HD! All big and stuff!


So that was pretty much the night in a nutshell. I wish I had more to say about it, but it was really just a good night and I'm glad that I was able to go. For more photos, click. I like links because they let you do all the work. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment