Monday, October 19, 2009

Oh look! It's my favorite time of year!

October through January is a generally enjoyable time for me. I like the holidays and I like the cold weather. I love snow, even though we don't get any in Charleston. I love being able to wear sweaters, coats, scarves, and even the occasional hat. And surprisingly October, November, and December are typically my busiest months of the year.

Anyway, last year's fall/winter was not super fun. So I am happy to report that I am feeling much more positive about this year. I am getting really into the whole Halloween thing. I've been baking lots of stuff. I've been contemplating some mild decorating. And I have decided to hopefully do something on Halloween. While I am not yet sold on the idea of having a costume, I am otherwise very excited about celebrating! If all local Halloween plans fail, The Old Ceremony are playing at Smith's Olde Bar in Atlanta. And there I will be.

As for Thanksgiving - it will kind of be skipped over because I will still be here in Charleston. I might cook fancy dinner and I may have some people over maybe. But I'm not really worried about that right now. I'm not going to be terribly upset if I don't have a big Thanksgiving celebration.

And then comes Christmas! Every morning I've been waking up and taking the dog outside in 45 degree weather saying, "It feels like Christmas." Because it does. And this morning when I went out, the sky was completely clear of clouds and there were just stars everywhere. It was really amazing...reminded me of winter nights back home with snow everywhere and a bright moon and bright stars. So I'm counting down until Christmas gets here. I have about half of the gifts taken care of. Two of the remaining ones are going to take me some serious time and work. But I'm ready!

Aside from holiday things coming up, I've got some other stuff on my calendar in the next few months. This Saturday, October 24, I think Staci and I will be traveling to Savannah, GA for the Third Savannah Record and 'Zine Fair. It will be good times for all, I'm thinking. Even if it blows, we'll at least be in Savannah.

November 3 and 4, Nicole Atkins is playing at Snug Harbor up in Charlotte, NC. I love this venue, and I loved her show the last time I was there. So I will be going at least one of these nights, if not both. It's just a long drive there and back for a school night. But I have done dumber things.

Completely unrelated to upcoming events, I received a postcard today from a nice lady in Australia. It's a photo her husband took. And it is of the cutest baby kangaroo (which she lovingly called a "bunnyroo", because of the adorable ears) I have ever seen. Not that I have seen millions of baby kangas. But anyway, I love him, and this woman has informed me that they have a "mob" of them living near their home. I'm moving to Australia.


But not until after I get to go to California.


Really...anywhere but here would be good right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment