Tuesday, March 23, 2010

SPOON

I like spoon - the utensil, the activity of, and the band. So naturally, this entry makes sense.

This past Saturday, Staci and I went to see Spoon play in Atlanta. I've always really liked this band and I had missed two previous chances to see them play, so when I saw tickets on sale for this time around, I couldn't pass it up.

There were two openers. The Strange Boys started the night off. They're a band out of Austin, TX. I wasn't really sure how I felt about them. I thought they had some talent - was impressed with the music, but just felt like in some instances the songs didn't pull together well. And the singer's voice just wasn't my favorite thing in the entire world. It could just be my picky opinion though - I've definitely heard worse opening acts before.

The second band on was Deerhunter. They hail from Marietta, GA, which is right outside of Atlanta. I was very impressed with them. The name sounded familiar, but I had never heard any of their material before. They put on a good show and I was happy to get the chance to see them.

Spoon came on at around 10:30. Their stage set was interesting, with various light installations. Britt Daniel walked onto the stage with a smile on his face and the crowd just lost it - I don't think the Tabernacle was so packed the last time I was there. Britt's smile carried through for the rest of the night. He really seemed to be enjoying himself on stage and it definitely made a difference in the show. It was enjoyable to watch and listen to. I was impressed by their performance, and judging by the bouncing floor underneath my feet and the screaming and singing of the people around me, so was everyone else. I definitely hope to see the band play again in the future.

I don't have a set list this time around, but I have a few videos over on YouTube (click pleeeease) and I have some pictures as well:

2 comments:

  1. I'm always glad at concerts that the best is usually last, so I'm walking away, feeling good about the whole evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mind was definitely buzzing when we left - makes for some good energy.

    ReplyDelete